For any of you who missed our first potluck we had a fabulous mix of delicious dishes. One of the show stoppers was the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp brought by Saben, who was kind enough to share the recipe with us. If you’re looking for a way to use up some rhubarb this recipe is definitely a great option! Be warned, it’s dangerously delicious!
Strawberry (or Apple) Rhubarb Crisp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 2 cups sliced strawberries or sliced peeled apples
- 1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add rhubarb and strawberries or apples (I used a combination of strawberries and peaches since I didn’t have enough strawberries and it was delicious); toss to coat. Spoon into an 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly and fruit is tender.
Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
**Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Hope you enjoy!